Underground Coal Mining
CRCMining’s Underground Coal Mining Program contributes to a viable and sustainable underground coal mining industry by focusing on:
- Incremental and step change productivity improvements;
- Reducing mine operating costs; and
- Addressing topical and emerging OH&S issues affecting mineworkers, staff and management.
A significant portion of this research work supports the ACARP research priorities developed each year. The current priorities identified for the underground coal sector are developed annually by the representatives of the mining companies.
The research challenges are focussed on the following areas:
- Enhanced Mine Safety through improvements to IS power supplies, remote, distributed sensing, gas drainage technologies
- An industry-wide coordinated approach to Rapid Underground Development
- Improve Equipment Utilisation through incremental improvements to longwall system uptime
- High Integrity Rock Mass Characterisation from a suite of geophysical logging tools compatible with surface to in seam and underground gas drainage drilling
- Innovative Mine Design and Methods with a focus on remote operating centres
- Improving the effectiveness of Ground Support Systems through step change drilling and bolting technologies