Tight Radius Drilling
The future of Coal Seam Gas Drainage
CRCMining has developed an advanced tight radius drilling system for extracting methane gas from coal seams, which uses water jet drilling to self propel the drill into the coal seam directly from a vertical well. This technology has application on both surface and underground mine sites, making coal seams safe to mine and cost effectively enabling the capture of fugitive carbon emissions, as well as in the burgeoning coal seam gas industry.
The steerable water jet drilling technology can be deployed into vertical wells to install multiple long (>300m) radials on multiple horizons (coal seams). Rapid and continuous, flexible and controlled, this step change technology boasts vastly superior value to surface to in-seam techniques, and a controllable, surveyed alternative to hydraulic fracturing.
CRCMining’s unique patented waterjet drilling technology creates a quality, gauged borehole with zero weight on bit. A compact electronic survey system delivers accurate, real-time survey information and allows the tool to be steered to a desired target.
Key benefits to Industry
Environmental Benefits of TRD
- A controllable Stimulation Technique – Steer the tool in seam
- Stay in seam – water-jets prefer to drill coal
- Environmentally sound – no additives required
- Increased surface spacing of wells (reduced surface infrastructure)
- Reduced total number of wells required
- Compact well site footprint
- Multiple laterals means redundancy & flexibility in difficult geology
- Multi-seam stimulation
- 300m+ Laterals
- Connect to the reservoir
- Overcome near wellbore effects
- No mud Cake skin effect in lateral
- CRCMining’s patented technology drills a quality, gauged borehole
- Superior connectivity means more gas, sooner
- Superior Coverage means greater cumulative production
- Independent modelling suggests TRD is the only technology that can make pre-gas drainage of Open cut coal mines economic
- Safe by design – Jetting by remote control
- 3 Site personnel required to run entire system
- Operates with secondary well control blow out preventers
- Continuous Drilling eliminates drill rod handling during drilling
- Uses clean (bore) water, no chemicals
CBM Innovations markets the Tight Radius Drilling system. Contact us for more information.
Tight Radius Drilling: How it works
YouTube video - Tight Radius Drilling 3D animation: How it works
YouTube video – Tight Radius Drilling: High-speed drilling demonstration